jueves, 3 de octubre de 2013

Spanish Castle and Clubbing

You might be wondering why I haven't written anything since last weekend. Well not a lot has really happened except for what the pictures show. I'll tell you a few stories anyway.

Last weekend I visited my first Spanish castle and it happened to be RIGHT HERE in Barcelona. Why did it take me so long to go check it out? I have no idea. The castle sits on top of Montjuic, overlooking the ocean. I kid you not, Montjuic translates to Jew Mountain in Catalan (the Spanish language I don't speak). The castle is aptly named Castle Montjuic, very creative. Montjuic is also home to the Olympic Park in Barcelona and several other attractions such as the MNAC. My friends and I "hiked" to the top of the "mountain" stopping along the way for various other pictures. Was it a long walk? Yes. Was it strenuous? No. The original fortification was built in 1640, but has had a few renovations since then. The last defensive additions were completed in the late 1700s. Fun Fact: When Napoleon invaded Spain, he took the castle without losing a single man because the commander decided to side with the army he knew was going to win. To sum up my visit to the castle: I got pretty nerdy and it was awesome.
That same day I went out to my first club in Barcelona. I had been avoiding it up until now, but the girls offered to cook dinner as a bribe. Apparently that was the right thing to do because it worked. There isn't much to say about the club though. All the guys there were impressed by the way the american girls danced. There were two male cross-dressers on stilts that were part of the go go dancers and Jazmin was all about dancing with them. It was hilarious. After making sure the girls made it home, I finally arrived back home at 6 AM Sunday morning.

This week has been pretty tough. I started it out depriving myself of sleep. Then Tuesday I woke up with serious sinus drainage and a fever. I missed half of my class in the morning because I decided to stay in bed for an extra hour and then go to the pharmacy and get some medicine. Today I'm still pretty tired, but that didn't stop me from going to a salsa class that my program was putting on tonight. That was hands down the most fun dancing class I've ever been to. There was no awkward pairing up and stepping on feet or anything. We stood in lines and just danced on our own, mirroring what our teacher was doing. He was incredibly charismatic and did a great job of making everybody feel like they were doing a great job. It also helped that all of the girls were so distracted by watching him shake his butt that I didn't feel the pressure of anybody seeing how terrible I was. Afterwards, the instructor offered to teach us 4 more classes at an incredibly discounted rate and I will be going back.

So that's my week. I promise that this weekend I will do something that is blog worthy and share it with you all.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario