miércoles, 11 de septiembre de 2013

My First Day of Work

Day 2: Today was my first day of work. The morning went more smooth than I could have imagined. I woke up to an empty apartment with breakfast waiting for me on the table. I got ready, checked my map, and left the house. Somehow I managed to walk straight to the correct metro station, exit at the correct stop, and walk straight to the correct building without an problems and only briefly checking my map once. I was introduced to my supervisor for the day because my real supervisor is on vacation in San Francisco, CA for the week. The supervisor today turned out to be from Pittsburgh which immediately made me less nervous. The other three employees I met today are Spanish. Before coming here I asked what the dress code was and they informed me that it would be business casual. I think that "business casual" must be some strange Spanish term that I've never heard that holds a completely different meaning than what it means in English because all of the guys in our office were wearing jeans and t-shirts. Meanwhile, I was pretty warm in my dress shirt and slacks. About an hour after I started working and was getting settled I heard some employees discussing something and excitedly pointing out the window. I started listening closer and decided they were arguing over whether a car on the street was a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Naturally, I joined them at the window to see what was up. It turned out there was no dispute; both a Lamborghini Gallardo and a Ferrari F40 were sitting at the gas station across the street. The rest of the day was not that eventful. Around 2 I went to lunch with a few of my coworkers. After that I was free to go home, but I decided to stay and finish up a little more work before heading home. On the way home I was waiting at a crosswalk and an older woman came up to me and asked for directions to the nearest metro station. When I replied, her eyes got really big and she started apologizing right and left because she didn't realize that I was a foreigner. I told her not to worry and pointed her in the right direction. The only reason I knew was because I was going to the same place. After returning home the rest of the day went by without being too eventful. I explored a little more of the city and got dinner with a friend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario